You will need to complete the application form and submit it at the Visa Application Centers for Greece in Johannesburg, Durban or Cape Town.
Under the new visa system (link to VIS document) implemented by all Schengen missions in South Africa as of June 6, 2013, all VIS visa applicants must submit their application in person in order for their biometric data (10 fingerprints and digital photo) to be taken. Please note that appearance in person for all applicants regardless of age is mandatory for biometrics.
According to Schengen rules visa applications may take up to 7 working days to process. Some applications may require further processing, which may be extended up to 45 days. Applications may be submitted at the earliest six (6) months before departure.
- The passport should be valid for a period of at least 3 months beyond the applicant’s last intended day of stay in the Schengen area.
- Ensure that the passport has at least two blank pages to affix visa.
- Please note that Temporary R.S.A. passports will no longer be accepted for traveling to or transit Austria, Germany, Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Denmark or Luxemburg).
- For non-S.A. citizens, residence permit in South Africa should be valid for at least 3 months after the return of the applicant from a Schengen State.
- Copy of the passport.
- Copies of previous Schengen visas
- ID photo: recent passport-sized high-quality photo (not glossy), with white back ground, in color, with facing forward, not older than 3 months and must not have been used anywhere in the current or previous passports. The forehead and ears must be visible, no teeth showing and without heavy jewelry.
Application form completed (online) and printed out by the applicant and signed by the applicant at the Visa Application Center for Greece in front of the officer (the stay in Greece should be the longest or equal to other Schengen Member States or in case of equal duration stay, Greece should be the first State of entry).
If the applicant is a minor:
- If the applicant is a minor both parents/legal guardians must sign in person in front of the person receiving the application at the Visa Application Center for Greece.
- All applications for minors (children below 18years of age) must be accompanied by a form of parental consent duly signed and certified by the South African police or a notarized certificate (in case of sole custody of one parent) even if the minor is traveling and/ or applying with both parents. Click here to download parental consent form.
- Additionally, for minor applicants the original full unabridged birth certificate and a certified copy of it should be submitted or the official documents/court decisions establishing the minor’s parents/legal guardians and certified copies of them.
- If only one parent has guardianship of the minor, the original relevant court documents must be submitted and certified copies of them.
- In case of impossibility to timely receive an unabridged birth certificate by the competent authorities, the proof of having lodged the relevant request to the competent authorities may be submitted along with an official letter from the minor’s school or from the hospital where he/she was born confirming the identity of the parents.
- If the applicant is a minor, certified copies of ID/ passport of both parents should be also submitted.
Copy of a round trip confirmed booking/flight reservation:
- with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Schengen State. A copy of this with confirmed travel dates should be submitted for each application.
- If the applicant is travelling to additional Schengen States, the confirmed bookings for the entire itinerary.
- Flight tickets can only be issued up to 90days, no longer.
- The flight reservation should state the passengers' name.
- The visa of the final country of destination (if needed) should be obtained before applying for a Schengen visa.
- Full itinerary for the entire stay (explaining the whole trip with destinations and dates).
Travel/Health/Accident Insurance Policy:
- covering the entire duration of possible stay in the Schengen area in accordance with the relevant Schengen Regulation.
- valid for all Schengen States.
- address to the Greek Consulate General.
- covering any expenses for repatriation, urgent medical attention, emergency hospital treatment or death during stay.
- with a minimum coverage of Euro 30.000,00 (clause should be stated on the medical insurance).
Purpose of the trip:
- A document substantiating the purpose of the stay.
Proof of accommodation:
- Hotel/ rental of holiday home/ campus residence/ tour vouchers confirmed reservation.
- Should clearly state names of applicants, arrival and departure dates, address of the hotel and contact details.
- All confirmation of vouchers should be from the hotel and not via travel agent/ company.
- If the name of the applicant is not stated on the booking confirmation, the person who booked the accommodation and whose name is stated on the booking confirmation must provide a certified letter confirming that the applicant will be staying with him/ her and a copy of his/ her ID/ passport.
- If applicant is also travelling to other Schengen States, proof of accomodation in each of the Member State should be submitted.
- Full itinerary with passenger details from the company along with proof of payment (a visa is required for cruise passengers when itinerary includes call at Greek port).
For Yacht/ Sailing:
- Letter from sailing company/ skipper with itinerrary for each day and details of applicants travelling for vacation.
- Yacht registration and a copy of passport of the skipper.
For applicants visiting friends or family:
- If applicant stays with family member or friend, proof of private accommodation invitation from the host (provide a sworn affidavit stamped by an official in Greece). Click here to download Sworn Affidavit. If host is in South Africa, then Sworn Affidavit from the S.A. police station (dates, names and address must be stated).
- The invitation letter must clearly identify the host and the invitee (name, address, birthdate, official identification number, occupation and permanent residence); the purpose of the visit; length of stay and accomodation status (where will the invitee stay and who pays for it).
- Some Member States may require that proof of sponsorship and/or private accomodation is provided by means of a specific form.
- Accompanied by a certified copy of the host's passport.
- For Tourists:
Proof of sufficient funds for duration of stay:
- Please submit recent, original bank statements with original ink stamp on each page for Johannesburg and e-stamp for Cape Town of the past 3 months, not older than 14 days from the date of application.
- The bank statements should be of current account (the account on which the applicant's salary goes into; needed even if company or other sponsor pays for the trip). Savings account or investment statements or credit card statements can be submitted in addition. Internet statements, bank letters and credit card will not be accepted.
- If the bank statements of the last 3 months do not show sufficient funds, any proof of other regular incomes should be submitted.
- If the applicant is sponsored, the applicant should submit the sponsor's bank statements of the last 3 months with an original ink stamp on each page for Johannesburg and e-stamp for Cape Town showing sufficient funds, a certified sponsorship letter signed by the sponsor and the ID/ passport copy of the sponsor.
- If the account is a business account and not in the applicant's name, a CK or CIPRO document or bank letter (original) confirming that the applicant has signing powers must be submitted.
For employees in addition:
- An employement letter (original not copied) with an original stamp and signature from the HR department of the company, specifying the date of recruitment, position in the company, salary and confirmation of leave approval (or confirming employment contract and the last 3 months' pay slips).
- If the applicant is a company owner or self-employed, proof of company registration CC/ CK or CIPRO DOCUMENTS.
- If the applicant is sole proprietor, letter from the accountant or the bookkeeper with original stamp and signature on the letter head (not a copy).
For pensioners in addition:
- If the applicant is a pensioner/ retired, the last 3 months pension statements.
For pupils or students in addition:
- A letter from the school/ university/ college with original signature confirming attendance and a copy of the student card.
- Pupils or students should be always sponsored by someone (even if they have enough funds in their bank account).
For business travellers in addition:
Official invitation letter from the inviting company in Greece (on official company letter head, stamped and signed) containing the folllowing information:
- The full address and contact details of the company
- Nature of the business
- Name and position of the countersigning company representative
- Purpose and duration of the intended stay/ trip
- Person or entity/company who will bear the travel and living costs
- Whether the sponsor gives financial guarantee for the visa applicant's return to South Africa
- Identity of the invited applicant
- Hotel reservation unless the invitation letter clearly states that accomodation is provided mentioning the details of the accomodation.
Information to be provided by the South African invited company:
- Copy of the invited company registry or tax card.
Official company paper stamped and signed, mentioning clearly:
- full address and contact details of the company
- name and position of the countersigning officer
- name, position, salary and years of employment (if applicable)
- purpose and duration of the visit
- nature of the work contract
- person or entity/company which will bear the applicant's travel and living costs
- An invitation letter from the inviting company which has been validated by the competent local authorities
- Official invitation letter from the inviting company in Greece (on official company letter head, stamped and signed) containing the folllowing information:
For EU/ EEA/ Swiss Dependents:
- Spouse or children of EU/ EEA/ Swiiss passport holders are required to submit certified copy of marriage certificate (spouse) and unabridged birth certificate (children).
- Travel insurance
- Certified copy of EU/ EEA/ Swiss citizen's passport
- Flight reservation and accomodation with details of applicant and EU/ EEA/ Swiss national
- No proof of adequate funds and proof of accomodation needed (optional)
For applicants travelling for cultural/ sports/ religious events in addition:
- Original letter of invitation by event organizer (containing contact details, name and position of undersigning representative)
- Enrollment/ Entry tickets/ Event Program
- Original letter of institution sending the applicant
For film crews in addition:
- Original letter of the film company specifying name, synopsis of the film and shooting locations
- Complete list of names of travelling crew members along with their designations
- Letter from the agency in Greece confirming arrangements for film permits
- Certificate of registration with the Local Pictures Producerss Association/ Film Chamber of Commerce
For applicants traveling for study/ research purposes in addition:
- Certificate of admission or registration at an educational institute for the purpose of attending academic or vocational courses, or cover letter from the host company
- Student cards or certificates of the current enrollment institute
For applicants traveling for medical treatment in addition:
- Certificate from a medical doctor and/or a medical institution, designated by the Consulate General/ Consulate, stating the medical history of the patient and confirming the need of specific medical treatment to be received.
- Proof that the specific medical treatment cannot be provided in South Africa.
- Official document from the receiving medical doctor or medical institution confirming that the specific medical treatment can be performed and patient be accepted accordingly.
- Any other correspondence between the sending medical doctor and the receiving medical institution, if available.
Important notice regarding the procedure of issuance of Schengen visas for seafarers: This visa applies to those travelling to Greece in order to go onboard to become a member of a vessel crew. Visa applications should be lodged no later than 15 calendar days prior to departure. Applications may be submitted at the earliest nine (9) months before departure. It is advisable to plan your travel well in advance to avoid any inconvenience. Please click here for the detailed requirements.