You will need to complete the application form and submit it at the Visa Application Centers for Greece in Johannesburg, Durban or Cape Town.
Under the new visa system (link to VIS document) implemented by all Schengen missions in South Africa as of June 6, 2013, all VIS visa applicants must submit their application in person in order for their biometric data (10 fingerprints and digital photo) to be taken. Please note that appearance in person for all applicants regardless of age is mandatory for biometrics. Subsequent Schengen visa applications within 5 years may be submitted through authorized representative only if the applicant has a Greek visa VIS.
Visa applications should be lodged no later than 15 calendar days prior to departure. Applications may be submitted at the earliest 3 months before departure.
Kindly submit your supporting documents for Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban click here.
Should be valid for a period of at least 3 months beyond the applicant’s last intended day of stay in the Schengen area. Ensure that the passport has at least two blank pages to affix visa. Please note that Temporary R.S.A. passports will no longer be accepted for traveling to or transit Austria, Germany, Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Denmark or Luxemburg.)
Application form completed and signed by the applicant
- If the applicant is a minor both parents/legal guardians must sign in person in front of the person receiving the application at the Greece Visa Application Center. All applications for minors (child below 18years of age) must be accompanied by a form of parental consent duly signed and certified by the South African police or a notarized certificate.
- Additionally, for minor applicants an unabridged birth certificate should be submitted or the official documents/court decisions establishing the minor’s parents/legal guardians. In case of impossibility to timely receive an unabridged birth certificate by the competent authorities, the proof of having lodged the relevant request to the competent authorities may be submitted along with an official letter from the minor’s school or from the hospital where he/she was born confirming the identity of the parents.
- Copy of a round trip confirmed booking/flight reservation. If the applicant is travelling to additional Schengen States, the confirmed bookings for the entire itinerary.
- Travel/Health/Accident Insurance Policy for the entire duration of possible stay in the Schengen area in accordance with the relevant Schengen Regulation with a minimum medical coverage of Euro 30.000,00 and coverage of medical evacuation/repatriation/death.
Purpose of the trip
- A document substantiating the purpose of the stay
Proof of accommodation
- Hotel reservations/vouchers, rental of holiday home, campus residence reservation.
- If applicant stays with family member or friend, proof of private accommodation invitation from the host (provide a sworn affidavit stamped by an official in Greece) along with certified copy of host passport. Click HERE to download Sworn Affidavit. If host is in South Africa, then sworn affidavit from the police station (dates, names and address must be stated).
- If an Applicant is travelling to several Schengen States, proof of lodging in each of them.
- Proof of sufficient funds for duration of stay: Please submit original 3 bank statements of a current account, for the past three months. Savings account or investment statements can be submitted in addition. Internet statements, bank letters and credit card will not be accepted.
- If the applicant is employed: letter from the employer confirming employment (or employment contract and the last 3 months’ pay slips)
- If the applicant is a company owner or self-employed: certificate of registration of the company;
- If the applicant is retired: the last three months’ pension statements;
- If the bank account statements over the last three months don’t show sufficient funds, any proof of other regular incomes.
• Additional documents (in case the Applicant is employee)
- Certificate of employment, specifying the date of recruitment, position in the company and salary level;
- Confirmation of leave approval (document to be provided by company owners)
Document to be provided by pupils and students
- Proof of enrolment in school or university
Additional supporting documents to be submitted by applicants travelling for business
- Invitation letter: Official invitation from the inviting company (on official company paper, stamped and signed) containing the following information:
- The full address and contacts of the company
- Nature of the business
- Name and position of the countersigning officer
- Purpose and duration of the intended stay
- Person or entity who will bear the travel and living costs
- Whether the sponsor gives financial guarantee for the visa applicant's return to South Africa
- Identity of the applicant
Information to be provided by the South African invited company
- Copy of the invited company registry or tax card.
- Official company paper stamped and signed, mentioning clearly:
- full address and contact persons of the company
- name and position of the countersigning officer
- name, position, salary and years of employment (if applicable)
- purpose of the visit
- nature of the work contract
- person or entity which will bear the applicant's travel and living costs.
- An invitation letter from the inviting company which has been validated by the competent local authorities.
List of supporting documents to be submitted by applicants travelling for the purpose of medical treatment
- Certificate from a medical doctor and/or a medical institution, designated by the Consulate General/ Consulate, stating the medical history of the patient and confirming the need of specific medical treatment to be received.
- Official document from the receiving medical doctor or medical institution confirming that the specific medical treatment can be performed and patient be accepted accordingly;